When it comes to expatriation, every country sets its own rules concerning the administrative documents required. France has its own system, which you’ll need to understand in order to make a smooth transition. It may seem like the administrative procedures are endless and complex. That is why we are listing and explaining them here.
Providing administrative documents is only one step in the process of expatriation.. For an overview of all the steps you’ll need to take, please read our article, “Preparing for the Expatriation Process: the Key to Successful International Mobility”..

There are several types of visas for expatriates in France: UniformSchengen Visas, short-stay visas, mixed visas and long-stay visas.

The administrative procedures vary according to the type of visa you request. In this first section, we will be focusing on the “passeport talent”. Later, we will explain the steps to follow for a long-stay visa.

The “Passeport Talent”

The “passeport talent” visa (New Innovative Enterprise or Qualified Employee) was created in 2016. It’s a document that allows foreigners to enter, stay and work in France.

It offers the following advantages:

  • Allows you to work in France without applying for a work permit in advance.
  • Allows your family to accompany you from the beginning. Your spouse will even receive an accompanying family visa, allowing him/her to work as well.

This eliminates the need to apply for a work permit before arrivingin France. You’ll just need to apply for your visa before leaving your home country. Once you arrive in France, you’ll need to apply fora residence permit at the prefecture corresponding to your place of residence.

Who is eligible?
  • Qualified employees: You must have a degree higher than or equivalent to a BAC +3 in France. Your employment contract must be for longer than three months. Additionally, your gross annual remuneration must be greater than or equal to €36,509.20.
  • Employees of New Innovative Enterprises: Yourrole must be connected with the company’s R&D plan. The minimum annual remuneration is the same as for qualified employees.

The “passeport talent” includes a section called the European Blue Card. Let’s take a look at the details.

The European BlueCard :

It is meant for highly qualified employees. This means that, to get one, you must meet specific criteria:

  • Hold a degree corresponding to a minimum of 3 years of higher education, or 5 years of professional experience.
  • Have signed an employment contract for a minimum of one year.
  • Receive an annual gross remuneration of €53,836.50 or more.

Once you have this residence permit, you can settle in France. You will then have the right to live here for a period of one to three years. The exact length of time will depend on your employment contract.

Like long-stay visas, visa applications can be submitted at:

  • Your embassy
  • Your consulate
  • Various visa centers such as VFS Global or TLScontact

These visa centers are authorized by the French government. First, they collect all the documents necessary for the visa application. Then they send them to various consular offices to be reviewed.

After obtaining your visa, there is one final step to complete before settling in France long-term.

TheResidence Card:

Your “passeport talent” and European Blue Card are valid for three months. They allow you to move to France. But once settled, you must apply for a residence card. You’ll need to submit your application at the prefecture corresponding to your place of residence. Your residence permit will be valid for a period of four years, and is renewable.

You should now have all the information you need to apply for a “passeport talent” visa.