International Mobility #expatriation#Passeport Talent#visa

The steps to take to become an expatriate in France (Part 1)


When it comes to expatriation, every country sets its own rules concerning the administrative documents required. It may seem like the administrative procedures are endless and complex. 

There are two main types of visas for France: short stay and long stay. Under these two categories, many subcategories exist. France does offer many possibilities in terms of immigration. Procedures, deadlines and documents vary depending on the type of procedure for which you will be eligible. 

Below are some categories related to the Talent Passport. The latter is one of the most popular residence permits in France. 


The “Passeport Talent” 


This residence permit has been a great success since its creation in 2016. It’s a document that allows foreigners (Algerians excepted) to enter, stay and work in France.  

At Cooptalis, we regularly use the “passeport talent” visa New Innovative Enterprise, since we have been recognized as a New Innovative Enterprise since 2016.  

It offers the following advantages: 

  • Allows you to work in France without applying for a work permit in advance. 
  • Allows your family to accompany you from the beginning. Your spouse will even receive an accompanying family visa, allowing him/her to work as well. 

The time saving is therefore significant, since the procedure is limited to two steps. First, apply to the French Consulate of the country of residence upstream. Then apply for a residence permit within 3 months of arrival in France. 


Who is eligible? 


There are 11 Subcategories of Talent Passport. Among the most frequently used are: 

  • Qualified employees: You must have a degree higher than or equivalent to a BAC +3 in France. Your employment contract must be for longer than three months. Additionally, your gross annual remuneration must be greater than or equal to €36,509.20. 
  • Employees of New Innovative Enterprises: Your role must be connected with the company’s R&D plan. The minimum annual remuneration is the same as for qualified employees. 
  • The European Blue Card. It concerns high qualified employees. You must have a degree corresponding to a minimum of 3 years of higher education, or 5 years of professional experience. You must Have signed an employment contract for a minimum of one year. You also have to receive an annual gross remuneration of €53,836.50 or more. 

Once you have this residence permit, you can settle in France. You will then have the right to live and work here with your family for a period of one to four years (renewable depending on the type of Talent Passport).  


Where can I apply?  


Like long-stay visas, visa applications can be submitted at: 

  • Your consulate 
  • Various visa centers such as VFS Globalor TLScontact 

These visa centers are authorized by the French government. First, they collect all the documents necessary for the visa application. Then they send them to various consular offices to be reviewed. 


The Residence Card :

The residence permit allows you to enter and stay in France for three months.  

During this period, the application for a residence permit must be filed with the Prefecture of the place of residence. 

Please note that the Talent Passport allows its holder to travel and reside in the Schengen area for 90 days. However, it does not allow him to work in another European country.  

Providing administrative documents is only one step in the process of expatriation… For an overview of all the steps you’ll need to take, please read our article, “Preparing for the Expatriation Process: the Key to Successful International Mobility”.. 


dapibus diam dictum luctus felis Aenean id